Thursday 22 August 2013

Limits exist only in people’s minds!

My name is Nenad Šimunko, I’m from Croatia and I work for the Croatian Diabetes Association. When I was 6 years old I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Now I’m 29 and I’m living my life to the full with my motto "Limits exist only in people’s minds".

With that motto tattoed on my back I’m trying to motivate people and show them that diabetes isn’t something that should stop you in anything you want to do in life.

The mHealth Grand Tour? That’s a proper challenge. I found out about the mHealth Grand Tour while working for the International Diabetes Federation, European Region in Brussels.  My eyes popped out when I heard about the idea.

Three and a half years ago I weighed 105 kilograms and I was not satisfied about where this was going. Then I bought my first bike. From that moment, cycling was sacred. Later on, I started to train for the triathlon and three years on, I have finished lot of ultra races – Ironman, double Ironman, triple Ironman, 100 mile trail races... But I can not explain how happy I am come back to purely cycling. The mHealth Grand Tour is going to be something big, for me a more spiritual ride because we will cycle some of the routes where the legends rode the greatest batles in the history of cycling. Just to be a small part of that is something special.

The last two months I’ve been crazy. I have bought a new carbon saddle (Selle SMP), new rims, new tires, chain, brakes. All my money goes on the bike and gear. I’m training a lot and I’m hoping that this will be enough as the Tour is going to demand a lot.

I’m also looking forward also to being involved in the clinical study, wearing the continuous glucose monitor (CGM) the whole day while performing at the highest level. This is where technology will give me the opportunity to see my blood glucose level in almost real time and I think for the first time I will be able to push the pedal to max without worrying about whether I will have hypoglycaemia and have the chance to react in time. I’m really looking forward to seeing how this will work.

Most of all I’m looking forward to meeting new people and seeing the beautiful scenery. I’m sure this will be a ride that I will never forget.

See you soon.

Nenad Šimunko is a triathlete with type 1 diabetes and an inspiration to all of us. He will be riding The Epic (all four stages) and participating in the clinical study that will take place during the Grand Tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment